Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sitcoms, Soap Operas, and Telenovelas

In a brief conversation with a coworker today, she commented that her life was like a soap opera. I jokingly asked if it wasn't actually a Spanish Novela. She laughed and responded that her life was a soap opera, and that another coworker who was walking towards us was the one living a telenovela. All three of us had a good laugh over that, but in reality they both have a lot of drama in their lives, and there was truth in the conversation.

Thinking about their television-like lives, I began to wonder where my life would fall in TV Guide. I think that I would classify my life as a sitcom. But not a vulgar one like is so common on TV today, nor one with a cheesy laugh track. I'm thinking my life would be sort of like the 'Cosby Show', but funnier, and less cheesy, and with better wardrobe.

What I really would like the TV show of my life to be like is 'Psych'or 'Scrubs' but I guess I'm not as goofy as Shawn and Gus or Turk and J.D., or perhaps I just haven't found the right companion yet to do goofy, crazy stuff with...

Anyways, my life is like a sitcom because there are problems that arise constantly, but not a lot of drama. Things are usually resolved after a few episodes. I've been really blessed in my life, and although I've had trials, some of which are still not resolved, overall, my drama can be laughed away.

My life is also like a sitcom because there's a lot of humor, and even more failed attempts at humor (that totally fits me!).

Although I don't have a theme song, I love Kronk from 'The Emperor's New Groove' and it has always been on my to-do list to come up with my own theme song. Also, I usually always have a song stuck in my head, and bonus, about .999999% of the time it is the perfect song, fitting perfectly with what is happening. So I think that more than qualifies as a soundtrack.


I also have constant inner dialogue, similar to documentary style interviews conducted on shows like 'The Office.'

Although I think my sitcom is pretty awesome, my sitcom life will probably never win an Emmy, so I'll have to write my speech here:

"I love being a sitcom, and I know that the reason why my life is lacking in serious soap opera type drama is because I've been taught correct principles and have made covenants that keep me safe from the heartache and frustration that those living soap-opera type lives endure.

"There have been so many people who have made my sitcom a success, and many supporting actors who are far funnier than I will ever be, so because there are too many thank, I would just like to unthank a few people: you know who you are."

1 comment:

  1. I thought you and I did crazy, goofy stuff together. I'm Shawn and you're Gus.

    ReplyDelete