Monday, November 21, 2011

Orange Jell-o

So, in honor of Thanksgiving this week, I thought I'd write about it because it is one of my favorite holidays. Just think in just a few days the table will be covered with turkey, yams, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, pumpkin pie, and orange jell-o with carrots.

Yes, orange jello with carrots. Don't ask me why, I don't have a clue why it shows up at Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not the biggest fan of jell-o, but I'll eat it on occasion. I'll even choke down less desirable flavors like, oh, say orange, if only to promote family harmony. But I draw the line at eating already nasty jell-o when stuff is added to it. Even bananas and other fruits in jell-o, which by all accounts makes more sense to show up in jell-o than carrots or other vegetables, makes jell-o less appealing to me than it already is.

I am not a fan of jell-o, and apparently neither is the rest of my family because year after year my grandmother's infamous Thanksgiving jello goes pretty much untouched.

I really don't understand the carrots and orange jell-o combination. The only thing I can think of is because they are the same color, but that explanation pretty much defies all logic...although at a funeral luncheon in my home ward someone was kind enough to bring in green jell-o with celery and green olives, so that gives some support to my color theory. This story also helps me to feel better about my own family's jell-o quirks, because orange jell-o with carrots is soooooo much better than the green veggie variety.


Its become a little joke in out family about the re-appearing jello. Seriously
Family, stop taking pity servings of the stuff so that Grandma will STOP making it!!

Actually this year we are not going to my grandparents for Thanksgiving and I think that I am going to be sad if there's not any jell-o.

Up Next: Dressing and why it is dis-gust-ing. Blech

No comments:

Post a Comment