Wednesday, November 23, 2011

One Tough Turkey

Fortunately this Thanksgiving post is not about terrible food which has been the topic of my most recent blog posts. Rather it is about an absolutely amazing book.

I love children's books. My mom would take my sisters and I on weekly pilgrimages to the city library, and we would come home with out arms laden with books. One of my favorite books was "One Tough Turkey" by Steven Kroll. It's a humorous take on the first Thanksgiving. I remember my Mom reading this book to us...it never got old or boring. I think that that is the ultimate test of a great book: you can read or listen to it a thousand times over and its just as good as the first time you read it. And even though you know what is going to happen, you still experience those moments of anxiety, happiness, sadness, and anger that you felt when you first heard the story. "One Tough Turkey" is definitely such a book.

Thanksgiving doesn't seem to have quite the market on good books, music, and television specials, and movies as Christmas does...but it does have "One Tough Turkey" which is so amazing that it more than makes up for this fact.

I'm grateful for a mother who read to me and fostered a love of reading in me. I still love to listen to my mom read stories to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment