Saturday, October 15, 2011

By Gum, I Think Its Gum!

My sophomore year of college I lived with my cousin and four other girls. On at least five separate occasions I walked into our small kitchen to find chewed green gum on the linoleum. The first time it was lying near the trash can. Disgustedly, I armed myself with a paper towel and disposed of the nasty thing. The next four times I encountered the chewed up gum, the story played out the same, although sometimes the gum was in the middle of the room, far away from the trash can. As much as I love cleaning up after my roommates, I felt that this was a recurring problem and it was vital to happiness and sanity that the gum situation be stopped.

Amazingly, the first roommate I confronted was the culprit (and by the by, it was NOT my cousin, she was as affronted by these disgusting discoveries as I was). My roommate told me that it wasn't like she was purposely leaving the gum on the floor. Inwardly rolling my eyes (its kind of hard to understand the instance happening that many times, and finding the gum in the MIDDLE of the room simply as an accident....), I responded that she just needed to be more careful when throwing her gum away because I didn't appreciate having to pick it up for her. I think I found her used gum one more time, but considering how often I had found her gum, I consider this a success. Needless to say, I did not live with this roommate for longer than one school year.

You may be wondering why, at least 3 years later, that I am bringing it up again. First of all, I am still scarred by the event. Secondly, I just found a chewed up piece of gum in my current apartment's bathroom. Either this is a common problem among gum-chewing adults, or I am just a magnet for these types of people. I'm inclined to believe that it is the latter....

No comments:

Post a Comment