Friday, January 13, 2012

Living as Hermit is Looking More and More Compelling

Tonight after work I had to run a few errands that took longer than expected, so I was tired and on the brink of starvation as I stepped through my front door. Waiting in the dark, staring blankly into space sat my roommate, waiting for me. It was, in a word, creepy.

She told me she needed to talk with me and since she doesn't see me very often (we have very different schedules), and as she had just walked in herself and had seen me in the parking lot, she decided to wait like a stalker on the couch staring creepily into space (ok, she didn't say that last part quite like that).

I had informed her last week that I am moving out at the end of the month when my lease is up (!!). Tonight she wanted to ask me when exactly I am moving out. I tried to be definitive, but even though I can't wait to hightail it out of here, my living arrangements are up in the air right now.

After I gave her a suitable answer, she felt the need to say, "and you know that you have to vacuum..." She didn't trail off, but she is from a different country, and I'm pretty sure that she meant that I need to clean the room (not simply just vacuum) when I leave.

I clean and vacuum. I do my dishes. I clean the bathroom and the kitchen. I am not the most organized person, but in shared spaces my stuff is kept orderly and out of the way. I don't know if she told me this because she thinks I'm an idiot or if she is oblivious to my position as the roommate who actually cleans.

I don't know what to think about that comment, other than the fact that I am so excited to get away from her!

I have noticed that people like to state the obvious to me. Do I actually portray myself as a complete dunderhead? I'm not even kidding, the things that people feel the need to explain to me, makes me wonder if they think that I'm more than a few crayons short of a whole box...

No comments:

Post a Comment