Friday, December 9, 2011

I Think My Roommate is Trying to Kill Me

My roommate H is ...hmmm. how to put this nicely...very concerned about finances. And as a graduate student that is very understandable. But lets just say that she is very Gestapo-like about household finances.

Which is why I don't understand why she always has the thermostat turned up past 80 degrees. I am not joking. And the heater has been on since last August! And its been an unseasonably warm year!

I really think she is just trying to cook me in my room, and faithful blog readers, if I end up a victim of cannabalism after being roasted alive in my room please direct the police to my roommate and get some justice for me.

Turning down the heat and dressing in sweaters and jackets, and piling my bed with lots of blankets is how I grew up, and how I survived at college: saving money AND keeping warm at the same time, who would have guessed! The gas bill is expensive, but there's also a lot of ways to cut costs in the winter. But H doesn't seem to get it.

Growing up I was always cold. Even in the Summmer I would have at least five blankets on my bed. My mom would always joke that I was cold-blooded (which secretly I've kind of resented because I feel like it puts me in the same category as snakes, which I absolutely loathe, but at the same time I also secretly liked it because it was kind of like a special little joke between me and my mom. Yes, I realize I am insane!).

Growing up, it seemed like I was constantly in a near-frost-bitten state because the thermostat would be at the outrageously low temperature of 72 degrees!

I would dream of cranking the thermostat up to 90 degrees and sit comfortably in my house in shorts.

Well, that dream is now my living nightmare. I'm wearing shorts right now, and have turned the heat off, and I'm still sweating. If I open the window it gets too cold, so I just have to wait for the house to slowly cool off (and hope that my roommate doesn't wake in the middle of the night and crank up the thermostat, as she is prone to do).

But seriously guys, I really think my roommate is trying to kill me, because based on encounters with her throughout the last 4 months, there's no way she would willingly crank up the thermostat at all and have all that money just blow through the vents and out of the bathroom window which my two roommates constantly leave open.

Save me...

3 comments:

  1. I'm a little concerned...not just about the roommate but also about the house you grew up in...72 degrees? I'm pretty sure the house I grew up in never got warmer in the winter than the 60s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, I am concerned about my memory as well... you're right 60 degrees does sound more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're part snake or lizard? I think Lizard sounds better. ;) Roommates are always fun. Open your windows at night and stack on the blankets, hopefully that will keep you cool.

    ReplyDelete