Friday, December 16, 2011

15 Random Things about Me

1. I hate strawberries.

2. When I speak to people with accents, I unconsciously absorb their accent. This spring when I was in California, I was asking for directions from the receptionist of a museum, who just happened to have a British accent. I unwittingly responded to something she said with a British accent as well. She asked me where I was from, I replied (in my normal accent), "Utah." She stared at me for a minute, and then said that she thought I was from England.

That was probably one of the proudest moments of my life, because I love England and would love to have a British accent (or more accurately fall in love with a man with a British accent, but either one would be awesome).

This is not the first time that I've parroted back people's accents: I've also unconsciously had an Australian and a Indian accent. Unfortunately these are short lived, and I also feel like a jerk, because it looks like I'm making fun of them. I'm not doing it intentionally, it just happens.

3. I absolutely loathe ferris wheels. My parents would take my sisters and me to a local amusement park about once a year. On the giant ferris wheel there, my father would not only spin the cart we were sitting in, but would rock it as well. I would like to attribute my fear to these instances, but honestly I think that I've just become more of a scaredy-cat with every passing day.

4. I love quotes. I am constantly writing down quotes. I'm not very organized though, and haven't discovered a very good system for storing and utilizing my quotes, but I have several displayed on my walls and in journals.

5. M&M's are not all created equally. From best to worst flavors: Peanut Butter, Coconut, Pirate Pearls (a special edition white chocolate version that came out of the Pirates movies came out) Peanut, Mini's, Crispy (which they sadly no longer make) Mega-size, almond, and original.
Although I have (obviously) overanalyzed M&M's, they are not my favorite candy. No candy really holds that high distinction, rather it's just whatever suits my fancy. Although I will admit that although I loved all sorts of candy growing up, now that I'm older anything without chocolate is pretty much just a waste of my time.

6. I'm a snob when it comes to movie adaptations of books. I haven't seen all of the Harry Potter movies for instance. I understand that its a different medium than books, and that movies can't include all of the detail that the books can, but I love the Harry Potter books because they have it all: action, humor, romance...The movies seem to completely bypass the humor that helps round out the characters and provides a nice balance to all of the Voldemort action going on.

I still have friends who haven't read the Harry Potter series, but they have seen the movies. This is just sick and wrong on so many levels to me...

7. I love high heels. I don't wear them hardly ever though because A) I am the complete opposite of graceful and can barely walk without tripping when I'm NOT wearing heels and B) I am 6'1'' and already tower awkwardly over everyone. I really don't need the extra inches.

8. I love all things pineapple. Fresh pineapple is pretty much the best thing on the planet! Also, I really love the show Psych (where there's a pineapple in each episode) and subsequently my cousin and my sister and I got into the habit of giving each other random pineapple-related gifts...it's pretty much awesome.

9. Chuck Bartowski is pretty much my perfect man. He's a fictional character in the television show Chuck. But he's tall, handsome, smart, sweet, funny, he has his priorities straight (friends and family above everything else...)he can sing (he hasn't sung on the show, but the actor who portrays Chuck, Zachary Levi is an amazing singer), and he is nerdy. Sigh...

10. I love history...actually I love learning. Period. If I had a million dollars I would travel the world...and I would become an eternal student. Of course I realize that there is value in real-world education, but I love going to classes and learning from more experienced people.

11. I love to laugh. I especially love comic strips. I think that its an under-appreciated art form.

12. I am definitely a jeans and t-shirt girl, but I think its fun to get dressed up. Although my coworkers love Casual Friday, I like wearing my dressy professional clothes.

I would love to go to a really fancy black-tie type of affair. Its fun to get dressed up and get fancy once in a while, especially in a society where sloppiness and too-casual dress is rapidly becoming the norm.

13. I loathe Nicholas Cage. He is the worst actor ever. I don't know how he keeps getting roles. In my film class that I took my last semester of college I found out that he had won an Oscar for Best Actor. I really can't comprehend this. This new piece of knowledge that I learned really made me lose a lot of my faith in humanity (or at least the dunderheads who make up 'The Academy').

14. I'm a magnet for weirdos. I don't know why this is, but its been a recurring theme throughout my entire life.

15. Growing up my mom used to say that I was cold-blooded. This is because I am practically always cold. Year round I have a minimum of 5 blankets on my bed.


3 comments:

  1. You crack me up! This post made me miss living with you and your silliness ;) FYI the 6th Harry Potter movie is so funny! I was wondering if you're even going to consider going to the Hunger Games movie when it comes out. I'm also planning on finally reading those books over the holidays, so I'll let you know what I think. How come I never realized that you hate Strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hate strawberries? What happened to your pea hatred?

    I like Nicolas Cage so I'm not sure why you're so mean to him. I don't know how you can exist without National Treasure or Next or The Family Man or It Could Happen to You. He just has such an identifiable and likable voice. You need to work on your love of American culture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica-I miss living with you too! I haven't seen any trailers for The Hunger Games yet, so I'm not sure I will see the movies. Also, the books are really bloody, so I'm not sure if I would enjoy seeing the movie adaptation. I hope you enjoy the books!

    I'm just finishing up the Harry Potter Series again, and I've been thinking of giving the movies another go.

    Kristy-I will admit that some movies like National Treasure and Next and pretty good...but just imagine how much more amazing they would be if they had a good actor.

    Also, peas are still gross, but I feel like they are more universally disliked, whereas it is somewhat of an anomaly to hate strawberries.

    ReplyDelete