Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Quack, Quack


I love ducks.  Now I know this is random, and for a self-proclaimed animal hater, it is extremely odd, but I love ducks.

I don’t know why I love ducks so much, but I’ve always liked ducks: My mother would take me to the park to feed ducks growing up, Daisy Duck was my nighttime protector and closest confident for more years than I’d care to admit.  I also grew up watching DuckTales and Darkwing Duck and Daffy Duck and Ernie with his ever present Rubber Duck (squeak, squeak). 

One of the perks of my new condo is that the area has a lot of waterfowl.  One morning I found a duck waddling around my parking lot.  I named him Roger.  He made my day.  I carefully backed my car up, making sure not to crush Roger and the rest of the day I was happy.

Recently I discovered the book ’10 Little Rubber Ducks’ by Eric Carle, which is not only based on actual events, but is an adorable story    At work, my coworker and I used to draw on post-it notes with hilighters, and we often drew ducks for each other…She even convinced her boyfriend, who owns a local pizza place to name a pizza after me: The Allison Duck (we had both been trying to get him to put duck on one of his pizza creations, he compromised with the name, but no duck, although I’m kind of glad now that I didn’t eat any of my cute friends.). 

Every time I see a duck my affinity for these fine feathered friends is reaffirmed.  I think one of the reasons why I love ducks so much is that they are always cute.  Seriously, has anyone seen an ugly duck (Amazingly I didn’t even catch that I almost quoted a Hans Christian Anderson title, yet even then the ugly duckling was in fact a baby swan)?  From ducklings to full sized ducks, ducks are super cute. No other animal that I can think of can boast cute young and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment