Thursday, May 9, 2013

Matchmaker

Yesterday I introduced myself to a new employee. His trainer was standing nearby when I did this,  and  decided to let the new guy know that I was single.  I had issues with this for a couple of reasons:

1. That particular day my appearance was a lot closer to a "Before" picture of a makeover than an "After" shot. Working with mostly women and special people and married people (and sometimes a combination of all three), there are not a lot of eligible men for me to be scoping out. So, admittedly I've gotten to a point where I don't particularly care about my appearance and probably resemble mug shot pictures while at work. To be fair though, I can't really do hair anyways, so even on my good days, things are not looking so good.  New guy was probably scared to death by the attempt to be matched with someone with stringy, fly-away hair and large bags under her eyes.

2. It's irritating for someone to assume that you are flirting with them, when  in reality you were just being nice and simply asking someone what their name is.  Perhaps this actually is flirting--it definitely would explain why none of the guys in my singles ward deign to talk to me.

3.  I cannot emphasize this one enough: Being single is not the only characteristic to take into account when attempting to set people up! I don't understand why so many people fail to  understand this.

4. I have working relationships with most, if not all, of my coworkers.  Thus, I do not feel like it was my coworker's place to be matchmaking.

5.  This matchmaking attempt was out of the blue and unexpected, probably because of all the reasons listed above.  I was not prepared to be singled out in this manner and so my eloquent response was "yep" whilst turning a beautiful hue of carmine, and then avoided eye contact with both matchmaker and my fellow victim of matchmaking for the rest of the day.

Unsurprisingly, this matchmaking attempt was unsuccessful.  Hopefully this will prevent my coworker from trying to play cupid again.



1 comment:

  1. That is always awkward to have someone playing match maker. I'm sorry :( You are always really cute so its definitely his loss.

    ReplyDelete